Friday, August 5, 2011

Heart Bears and Updates

  I had my OB appointment today.  Things went well, aside from the waiting that goes with these appointments.  The doctor listened to all my concerns and addressed anything that might need to be taken care of.  He listened to the baby's heartbeat.  He seemed to listen to it forever and really be listening for...something....but he said everything sounded great when he was done.  He is a very optimistic doctor and left me feeling good and hopeful about everything that is to come. 
  I am supposed to be going in for a Level II Ultrasound within the next couple weeks.  That's when we'll take a closer look at the baby's heart and determine whether or not everything looks like it should.  I'm having mixed emotions about this because its right before Mateo's surgery.  If everything is good and healthy, then of course I want to know right away!  BUT....if there are problems, I'm not sure I want to know about it right before Mateo's surgery, when I need to be focusing on him and that procedure.  I guess we'll just deal with it how we always do....one step at a time.
  The doctor also said not to worry about the stress that is sure to come with Mateo's surgery, that the baby would be fine.  He really put my mind at ease about a lot of things, so I'm glad I went in to see him today.  I almost rescheduled the appointment this morning because I was not feeling very well and just wanted to stay home.
  When we got home, there was a package waiting for us at the door.  I ordered Mateo a Mended Heart Bear a week or so ago and it arrived today.
Its the cutest thing and SO soft.  It has a zipper on its chest (like Mateo's "zipper", which is what we call his scar from his last heart surgery).  When you unzip him there is a little, stitched up heart inside....just like Mateo's.

I plan to use this in a couple weeks to explain, in very simple and non-scary, terms what Mateo will be going through.  He already knows his heart has a "boo-boo" and needs to be fixed....so we'll see how well we can prepare him for this.  Now, I just need someone to prepare ME!

1 comment:

  1. Hi
    My name is Jenna and I came across your site. Mateo is an amazing courageous strong and determined fighter. He is a brave warrior, smilen champ and an inspirational hero. I was born with a rare life threatening disease. I love it when people sign my guestbook. www.miraclechamp.webs.com

    ReplyDelete